I LOVE LOVE LOVE gnocchi, and it really doesn't require many ingredients to pull together this amazing, romantic, dish!
Serve with my easy creamy garlic sauce, or a rich tomato sauce!
3 lbs russet potatoes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 large egg
- Boil potatoes in a large pot until tender enough to be pierced with a fork
- Drain and cool enough to handle
- Peel the potato skins off and cut into large chunks before passing through a ricer, or use a cheese grater
- Season with salt and allow to completely cool
- Add flour on top of potato and then drizzle the beaten egg on top of that
- Combine with a fork until it comes together, and then knead with your hands for about 2 minutes into a ball - don't overwork the dough!!!
- Separate dough into 4 equal parts before rolling the dough into a log about 3/4 inch thick
- Cut the log into 1 inch pieces with a sharp knife
- Roll each piece of gnocchi on a paddle, or use the back of a forks tines to form groves
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, carefully add the gnocchi
- Once the gnocchi floats to the top, cook for 1 more minute
- In a skillet, heat oil/butter
- Once gnocchi has finished cooking transfer, with a slotted spoon, to the heated skillet and cook another 2 to 3 minutes - until they crisp and get golden brown
- Remove gnocchi, in the same skillet warm your sauce then add gnocchi, toss to coat
- Serve with freshly grated cheese, parsley, and chili flakes!